Week one of the Braces

Dear reader,  contrary to my current general ambition I have cluttered my mouth (no pics). Yes,  my mouth is full of metal clutter in the form of braces.  I now can't chew which may help on the dieting front.  Someone told me they lost 10kg in the first month of having braces. 

What have I eaten on the 'braces' diet ?  Mashed potatoes,  mashed banana, more mashed potato,  soup, scrambled egg mashed with tuna,  Quorn lasagna,  more mashed potato, avacado, more soup.  I've introduced chocolate to the microwave for the purpose of melting. I'm displaying horrendous manners by dunking biscuits, and worse,  meringues.  I'm sore.

I've found the braces introduction quite an eye opener.  I wasn't warned about the initial discomfort nor the need to eat slush.  Lisping is a bit embarrassing and I'm explaining it with every phone call I am on.   I'm cleaning my teeth in the restroom at work to remove the inevitable porridge stuck in the braces.  As if that wasn't enough I find that I am being treated as a dental consultant.  Suddenly people (men) are opening their mouths before me for comment,  cooing or inspection.   This is quite disconcerting when it's your colleagues,  Joe over the other side of the aisle who I've never spoken to before now has a sudden need to show me his molars,   George in accounting smiles broadly to show me he wants braces,  Duncan in HR wants me to see his unaligned front teeth and Freddie in reporting  opens wide to show me his teeth are twisted.  The common 'denta'nominator is they are all male.  Women,  have no such need to show me their dental failings.  They do however have advice. Even conference calls with our banks in the US has a 10 minute pre-business discussion on benefits of and advise on how to manage metal braces, along with soothing noises of it will get better in a couple of weeks.

12 comments:

  1. The only thing that's naturally straight about me is my teeth, thank goodness. I've never had to endure braces. Hang in there, it will all be worthwhile in the long run, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be worth it in the end I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wore braces for 5 years as a teenager, very uncomfortable, I had perfect teeth, for about 40 years then gum disease took them all away. I now have perfect dentures, no problems anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never liked my teeth and always wanted to get braces. I got them for our son instead. I'm oddly envious of you. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be worth all the discomfort in the end, far better to have a brace than to have them removed and wear a denture. Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck.
    I should have had braces and didn't. And I am too old and too broke and too cheap now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an ordeal but impressed it was business as usual on the work front. Hope the link helped and the corned beef hash mash recipe too.
    I'm sure it'll get easier soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an ordeal but impressed it was business as usual on the work front. Hope the link helped and the corned beef hash mash recipe too.
    I'm sure it'll get easier soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch - you are braver than me. I'll stick with my wonky smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh... those memories of my braces are all coming back to me. The lisping and inability to eat chewing gum were the hardest for me. One of those eye on the prize life experiences, I think.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you for investing in yourself!! As a retired dentist, I'm very aware of the fact that a wonderful smile can add so much confidence!!
    jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about the braces. Having them is a huge pain, but is definitely worth it. You mentioned your struggles with eating. Since you can't eat as much, every bite counts more than ever. To ensure your system is sufficiently fueled, you should add quinoa to your routine. It's high protein and can be made rather soft for your braces.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Him adops a Racing pigeon and Miss 26 looks for an Apartment in the year that never was

How are you all?  I thought I would catch up by sharing a series of vlogs that I made during the year that never was.  Here is one from the ...